Monday 2 January 2012

Enamel teapot Canal boat style

This year my mum, sisters and I proposed doing homemade christmas presents to each other, which was a rule adhered to in varying degrees. Was good for me though because the three presents I made cost me just £1.40 in total (not including paint, which cost me £6, but I still have loads left). This teapot I bought for 50p from a carboot and painted with canal boat style roses, I'm sure this has a proper name but I don't know it. I would recommend this form of present giving to you all, because on top of the fact that your giving nice gifts, I also got commissioned by my cousin to paint her bucket-barbecue in a similar way, there is potential for me to make money for my christmas presents this year! My sisters presents will follow, but I am yet to take a decent photo of them. watch this space.

I bought the enamel paint from a model shop, but you can also get them in some art shops too. They are the really tiny pots, but the paint goes a lot further then you might think. Also the colours mix very effectively so you don't have to buy hundreds of different colours. I went for a Canal boast blue, red and green, and a creamy colour, basically prime colours which gave me enough to produce many colours but essentially all in the same limited tone, which was what I wanted. So little tip for you there, buy few, mix more. Oh and second tip, buy low odour white spirit to clean your brushes and as a paint thinner, I didn't and my room with no windows has been smelling of the stuff for months!

2 comments:

  1. thats awesome lilly, Im loving it! lots of love to you, from us both x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Mum told me about your pressies so am glad to see the teapot. It is really gorgeous and very professional too.

    ReplyDelete