Wednesday 13 July 2011

Creating a Wood effect

I thought I would share a brilliant wood effect I discovered when I was experimenting with the wood for the floor for my man falling down a hole. It is remarkably easy and looks very authentic. I found to create the right lines and knots it is best to copy real wood for the design. Then all that is needed is to copy the pattern of the wood in pencil with short strokes all facing the direction of the grain of wood. Then using a brown water-colour paint, just follow "the grain" with long strokes with a large flat brush, this has the additional advantage of locking in the pencil marks to a certain extent, so it doesn't really fade. To further ensure it's protection, I them followed the grain one more time with a couple of coasts of PVA glue, making it shiny. I painted a hard back sketchbook with this effect, but I'm sure it will work on whatever medium proving it takes the pencil, paint and glue. Have a go.


1 comment:

  1. Blimey! This is amazing!!! I'm thinking this would look awesome as an effect on one of your deer heads? Because then it will give the idea that they are wooden but also be light enough to stick onto a wall with 'no more nails' or similar? HOW awesome would that look at uni?
    much love xxx

    ReplyDelete